To provide a journey of lifelong learning for fitness professionals and educators through the maintenance of high professional standards, promotion and dissemination of good practice, and delivery of inspired training and support.
To help our clients reach their highest potential by striving to provide the services for them to be the very best they can be.
We are driven by a desire to create high calibre and well trained fitness professionals and pride ourselves on quality being at the core of everything we do.
Our motivation is reflected in the qualifications, CPD activities, professional standing and experience of our small and dedicated team of tutors, assessors and internal verifiers who possess the highest level of professional qualifications in the fitness industry.
Passion- Always striving to provide the best.
Innovation- Enhancing boundaries through creativity.
Quality- Outstanding teaching through evidence-based practice.
Responsibility- Treating all clients, students and staff with dignity and respect.
Phil is a BASES Chartered Sport and Exercise Scientist (CSci), BASES Accredited Interdisciplinary Sport and Exercise Scientist (scientific support), UKSCA Accredited Strength and Conditioning Coach (ASCC) and NASM Corrective Exercise Specialist with 25 years experience delivering strength and conditioning, sport and exercise science and personal training support services to professional/elite athletes as well as general, obese, elderly and adolescent populations. He also has 23 years teaching and lecturing experience in physical education, strength and conditioning, sport and exercise science and personal training-related disciplines across all levels of the UK education system as well as abroad.
As an athlete, Phil is an 8 x World Champion having represented both Wales and Great Britain winning various Welsh, British, European, Commonwealth, World and Olympia titles since 1994. Phil is the current 2019 WPC World Open and Masters (50-54yrs) Deadlift Champion (U90kg class), 2019 IPL World Drug Tested Open and Masters (50-54yrs) Deadlift Champion (U90kg class) and 2018 IPL Olympia Pro Powerlifting Invitational Deadlift Champion (U90kg Open Class).
He is currently ranked number one in the world for the deadlift on the all-time rankings list for all federations in the U100kg weight class (masters 50-54yrs).
- LLB (CPE) (hons) in Law, Staffordshire University Law School, UK, 2013
- BA (hons) Sport and Human Movement Studies, University of Wales Institute Cardiff (UWIC), UK, 1991
- Postgraduate Certificate in Anatomical Sciences (Merit), University of Edinburgh, UK, 2019
- Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL/CPE), Staffordshire University Law School, UK, 2013
- MSc (distinction) in Strength and Conditioning, Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia, 2008
- MSc in Sport and Exercise Science, University of Wales Institute Cardiff (UWIC), UK, 2001
- PGCE in Physical Education (QTS) (11-18 yrs), De Montfort University, Bedford, UK, 1996
- Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management, Polytechnic of Wales, UK, 1992
- BASES Chartered Sport and Exercise Scientist (CSci) (2016- present) (Click here)
- UKSCA Accredited Strength and Conditioning Coach (ASCC) (2007- present) (Click here)
- BASES Accredited Interdisciplinary Sport and Exercise Scientist (Scientific Support) (2005- present) (Click here)
- NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) (2002- present)
- NASM Corrective Exercise Specialist (NASM CES)
- Active IQ Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage (soft tissue therapy)
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Assessing Vocationally-Related Achievement
- Active IQ Level 4 Award in the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice
- Active IQ Level 4 Award in Understanding the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes and Practice
- Football Association of Wales (FAW) Safeguarding Award
- Current St John's Ambulance First Aid at Work Certificate
- Football Association of Wales (FAW) Football Leaders Award
- BWLA Weightlifting Instructor
- Speed, Agility and Quickness (SAQ) Preliminary Award
- EBBA Basketball Referees Award
- RFU Rugby Union Referee Development Teachers Certificate
- EBBA Basketball Preliminary Coaching Award
- WRU Rugby Union Referees Award
- RFU Level 1 Rugby Union Preliminary Coach
- WRU Level 2 Rugby Union Intermediate Coach
- BAGA Level 5 Gymnastics Coach
- BTF Elementary Silver Proficiency Trampoline Coaching Award
- RLSS Police Lifesaving Certificate
- BAGA Level 1 Recreational Gymnastics Coach- Special Needs
- Owner/Director at Advanced Fitness Education UK Ltd (Oct. 2009- present)
- Owner/Director at Phil Watkins Strength Academy Ltd (May 2019- present)
- Lecturer in Physical Education at King Fahd University (KFUPM), Dhahran, Saudi Arabia (Feb. 2017- present)
- Head of Sport/Senior Lecturer in Strength and Conditioning at University of Derby, UK (Dec. 2001- June 2012)
- Lecturer in Physical Education at Hail Community College, Saudi Arabia (Sep. 2000- Nov 2001)
- Coordinating Lecturer in Sport, Leisure and Recreation at Swindon College, UK (Aug. 1999 - Sep 2000)
- Head of Physical Education at Netherwood School, Saundersfoot, UK (Apr. 1998 - Aug 1999)
- Teacher of Physical Education at King Henry VIII School, Abergavenny, UK (Sep. 1997-Apr 1998)
- Teacher of Physical Education at Coopers Coborn School, London, UK (Sep. 1996 – Sep 1997)
- Law Enforcement, Police Officer at Dyfed-Powys Police, UK (May 1993- May 1995)
- Strength, Power and Speed Enhancement in various populations.
- Physical Literacy and Movement Development in various populations.
- Curriculum renewal in physical education through models-based practice.
- Talent Identification and Development in Physical Education.
- Sports Pedagogy.
- Sewell, D; Watkins, P and Griffin, M (2012) Sport and Exercise Science: An Introduction. Routledge: 2nd Edition
- Sewell, D; Watkins, P and Griffin, M (2005) Sport and Exercise Science: An Introduction. Hodder Arnold: London
Chapters in Books
- Watkins, P.H (2010) Augmented Eccentric Loading: Theoretical and Practical Applications. In: M.J. Duncan and M. Lyons (eds). Trends in Human Performance Research. New York: Nova Science Publishers
- Watkins, P.H and Richards, G (2010) Acute effects of variable resistance exercise on force and power characteristics during the back squat exercise. In: M.J. Duncan and M. Lyons (eds). Trends in Human Performance Research. New York: Nova Science Publishers
- Watkins, P.H (2009) The Stretch Shortening Cycle: A Brief Overview. In: M.J. Duncan and M. Lyons (eds). Advances in Strength and Conditioning Research. New York: Nova Science Publishers
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Watkins, P.H (2019) The effects of stance width and load on lower limb electromyographic activity in national level competitive powerlifters performing the back-squat exercise. Journal of Sports Sciences (abstract),
- Watkins, P.H (2017) The effects of high intensity interval training on body composition for health risk reduction in obese Saudi Arabian male University students. Journal of Sports Sciences (abstract), 35(S1), D2P16
- Watkins, P. H and Hallam, B (2011) The effects of in-season plyometrics on stretch-shortening cycle kinematics of male high school team sport players. Journal of Sport Sciences (abstract), S121- S122
- Watkins, P.H and Duncan, M (2010) Analysis of peak power prediction equations with actual peak power in elite academy soccer players. Journal of Sports Sciences (abstract), 28(S1), S160
- Watkins, P.H and Haines, S (2010) Strength and power profiling of academy players during the pre-season: A case study. Journal of Sports Sciences (abstract), 28(S1), S161
- Watkins, P.H and Sapstead, G (2010) Augmented eccentric loading and force and power production during the countermovement jump. Journal of Sports Sciences (abstract), 28(S1), S160
- Watkins, P.H (2010) Augmented Eccentric Loading: Theoretical and Practical Applications for the Strength and Conditioning Professional.Professional Strength and Conditioning, UKSCA Issue 17, pp4-12
- Watkins, P.H and Richards, G (2009) The acute effects of heavy back squats and inter-repetition rest intervals on sprint kinematics during the acceleration phase of sprinting. Journal of Sport Sciences (abstract), 27(S2):S114
- Watkins, P.H and Richards, G (2009) Acute effects of chains on force and power characteristics during the back squat exercise. Journal of Sport Sciences (abstract), 27(S2):S105
- United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA)
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Science (BASES)
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
- International Society for Biomechanics in Sports (ISBS)
- Association for Physical Education (afPE)
Charles is currently a Senior Lecturer in Applied Management programmes at the University of Derby and researches in the area of martial arts and professionalism and using martial arts as a wellness intervention. He is a published author and education officer for the Institute of Martial Arts and Sciences actively involved in breaking down barriers to martial arts and the Disability Martial Arts Alliance.
Charles has over 40 years experience practicing, teaching and competing in martial arts. He is a 5th Dan in karate and 4th Dan in kickboxing recently winning European, British and English titles in Kata (forms). He competed at the 2017 and 2018 world championships.
- BA Hons Leisure Management, De Montfort University, 1997
- MA in Tourism Business Administration, Birmingham University, 2000
- Doctorate in Education (EdD), University of Derby, 2019
- TDLB D32 And D33, 1999/2000
- City and Guilds 7307, 2000
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity
- Founder Fellow of the Institute of Martial Arts and Science
- Subject Manager/Senior Lecturer for Sport Programmes, University of Derby (2001- present)
- Personal trainer and martial arts coach
Publications and Conference Presentations
- Spring, C.P. (2014) Professionalisation of Sports Teaching and Coaching through Experientioal Learning: in Reid, G. and Woo Lee, J. (Eds). (2014) Social Justice in Sports Development: LSA Publications: UK
- Spring, C., Moeller, R. and Cheetham M. (2014) Measure of the influence of Martial Arts Instructors on Aggressiveness: IQ Journal. Institute of Martial Arts and Sciences: UK.
- Spring, C. & Rice, M. (2013) Critical Evaluation of Learning Teaching and Assessment Applied to Martial Arts Theory and Practice. IQ Journal. Institute of Martial Arts and Sciences: UK.
- Spring, C. (2012) Sociology of Boxing University of Derby Sports Conference
- Spring, C. (2012) Martial Arts in Higher Education: Case study of BA (Hons) Martial Arts Theory and Practice LSA National Conference Edinburgh
- Spring, C. (2011) Experiential learning and martial arts World Scientific Congress of Combat Sports and Martial Arts Conference (Sept. 2011) University of Resznow Poland
- Spring, C. (2010) Martial Arts in Higher Educational Settings. Sports in Society conference (March 2010) Vancouver Canada
- Spring, C. (2009) Experiential Learning in the University setting. University of Applied Sciences summer school conference Hamenliina Finland
- Spring, C. (2008) Martial Arts and Experential Learning Learning Teaching and Assesment Poster presentation : University of Derby Buxton
- Spring, C. (2007) Moving Stadia is Simple! Herriot Watt University School of Built Environment Seminar Series
- Spring, C. (2007) Martial Arts in University Settings. Presentation University of Derby Buxton Culture and Lifestyle research group)
Delivered research report on work undertaken in University NIFS Japan August (2007) Martial Arts in University Settings
Spring, C. (2006) Moving Stadia is Simple! University of Staffordshire. Urban Planning research group.
- Spring, C. (2006) Social Impacts of Stadia Moves. Royal Geographic Institute London International Conference
- Spring, C. (2006) Martial Arts and Aggression Reduction Haminliina University of Apllied Sciences Finland Summer School
- Spring, C. and Heap, T. (2005) Impacts of Stadia move on specific populations and groups. International Conference in Rotterdam 9-11th Nov (2005)
- Spring. C, (2005) Impacts of sports on community cohesion; University of Derby research group lecture series
- Spring, C. (2005) Sport and Community Regeneration, for Community Research Group Derby University
- Spring, C. (2003) Social Impacts of Sports Development projects, Recreation Journal
- Spring, C. (2003) Social Impacts of Sports Development projects; Regeneration and Renewal (2003)
- Spring, C. (2002) ‘Developing a Cost Benefit Analysis for Sports Regeneration’ in Ibbetson, A. Watson B. and Ferguson, M. (Eds) s (2003) Sport Leisure and Social Inclusion; LSA. Brighton
- Spring, C. (2002) Social benefits and costs of large sporting events to host population: Leisure Studies National Conference
- Report for Manchester City Council Games Legacy Unit (2004)
- Second Report for Manchester City Council Games Legacy Unit (2004)
Visiting Lecturer Experience
- Visiting Lecturer JAMK Finland Summer school teaching martial arts and experiential learning
- Visiting Lecturer HAMK Finland Martial Arts Modules for four summers
- Visiting scholar National Institute of Fitness and Sports
Kanoya, Kagoshima 891-2393 Japan
- Visiting scholar University of Sports Tianjin China
- 5th Dan Shukokai Karate
- 4th Dan Kickboxing World Kickboxing Association
Dr Charles Spring
Bill is a retired Teacher/Head of Physical Education having taught in secondary schools across Merthyr Tydfil and Tredegar, South Wales for 33 years. During his last 12 years at Tredegar Comprehensive School he undertook the role of GNVQ coordinator/assessor and internal verifier. Following his retirement he taught NVQs in management for 3 years at Gwent Tertiary College at levels 4 and 5. In addition, he worked for the RSA and AQA for 6 years as an external verifier, wrote several units for VCE Business Studies (level 3) and became an examiner following their introduction at a later stage. During his younger days Bill was an excellent rugby player, representing Merthyr, Rhymney and Tredegar either on the wing or in the centre.
- BEd, University of Wales, Cardiff, UK, 1980
- Diploma in Physical Education, City of Cardiff College of Education, UK, 1968
- Teachers Certificate in Physical Education, University of Wales School of Education, UK, 1963
- MPhil in Internal Verification, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, UK, 2002
- MSc (with distinction) in Education Management, Polytechnic of Wales, UK, 1989
- C&G Competencies in Training and Development External Verifier Award
- BTEC Certificate in Coordinating the Assessment Process
- BTEC Certificate in Assessing Candidates using Diverse Evidence
- BTEC Certificate in Assessing Candidate Performance.
- Head of Physical Education/Head of Commerce/Careers Tredegar Comprehensive School, Tredegar (1972- 1994)
- Teacher of Physical Education, Georgetown Secondary School/Cyfarthfa High School, Merthyr Tydfil (Sept 1968- Dec 1971)
- Teacher of Physical, Gellifaelog Secondary School, Merthyr Tydfil (Sept 1963- Sept 1968)
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Association for Physical Education (afPE)