This qualification aims to provide learners with the knowledge and skills to be able to plan, deliver and supervise safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment. During the qualification learners will cover:
- Anatomy, physiology and nutrition and how they relate to exercise and fitness.
- Health and safety in the fitness environment.
- The skills to conduct client and group inductions in a gym-based environment and support exercise adherence and a healthy lifestyle.
- The skills to plan, instruct and supervise safe and effective exercise and physical activity sessions.
- Professionalism for fitness instructing.
- Personal and professional development.
- Delivering exceptional customer service.
- Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended.
- The course requires physical exertion, and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
- There is an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2.
- Aged 16+.
- Wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as gym-based fitness instructors.
(Please note: 16–18-year-olds may need to be supervised in the workplace, once they have achieved the qualification).
This qualification provides progression to:
- Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training.
- Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral.
- Level 3 Award in Designing Prenatal and Postnatal Exercise Programmes.
- Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Older Adults.
- Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Disabled Clients.
Other related Level 2 and/or Level 3 qualifications:
- Level 2 Award in Instructing Circuits.
- Level 2 Award in Instructing Kettlebells.
- Level 2 Award in Instructing Suspended Movement Training.
- Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Group Exercise).
- Level 2 Certificate in Promoting Community Health and Well-Being.
- Level 3 Award in Nutrition for Exercise and Health.