This qualification aims to train learners to a professionally competent level, enabling them to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes developing their skills knowledge to pursue a career in personal training.
During the qualification learners will cover:
- Anatomy and physiology, functional kinesiology and concepts and components of fitness.
- Nutrition for exercise, health and fitness.
- Lifestyle and medical factors that affect wellbeing.
- Analysis of client information using the most accepted techniques.
- Assessment of a client’s current health and fitness status.
- Planning and conducting of physical activity sessions, within a variety of environments using multiple resources.
- Client consultations using the most accepted methods and providing strategies for successful behaviour change.
- Communication skills to effectively build successful relationships with their clients and other health care professionals.
- Legal and professional requirements for personal training.
- How to set up and manage a personal training business on a self-employed basis.
- How to manage, evaluate and improve own performance.
- Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended.
- The course requires physical exertion, and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
- There is an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2.
- Aged 16+.
- Wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as personal trainers.
(N.B: 16–18-year-olds may need to be supervised in the workplace, once they have achieved the qualification).
This qualification provides progression to:
- Level 4 Certificate in Advanced Personal Training.
- Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral.
- Level 3 Award in Designing Prenatal and Postnatal Exercise Programmes.
- Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Older Adults.
- Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Disabled Clients.
- Level 3 Diploma in Instructing Pilates Matwork.
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga.
- Level 4 Certificate in Strength and Conditioning.