Aim: To develop learners with existing knowledge and skills in gym instruction who would like to pursue a career in personal training.
To provide learners with:
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology, functional kinesiology and concepts and components of fitness.
- Knowledge and skills to assess a clients current health and fitness status.
- Knowledge and skills to be able to plan and conduct a physical activity session, within a variety of environments using multiple resources.
- Knowledge and skills to perform a client consultation using the most accepted methods and providing strategies for successful behaviour change.
- Knowledge and skills to be able communicate effectively to build successful relationships with their clients and other health care professionals.
- Knowledge to be able to prepare for employment or to set up in business on a self-employed basis.
- Knowledge and skills to be able to manage, evaluate and improve own performance.
- Knowledge to be able to offer nutritional advice for physical activity based on clients needs.
- A suitable Level 2 qualification in Fitness Instructing (Gym).
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential, therefore a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2.
- Learners aged 16+.
- Gym instructors wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as personal trainers.
- Individuals, who already hold a gym instructor qualification, wishing to become self-employed running their own personal training business.
This qualification provides progression to:
- Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral.
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training.
- Level 3 Diploma in Instructing Pilates Matwork.
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga.