This qualification will further develop learners, who have existing knowledge and skills in gym instruction, to enable them to pursue a career in personal training. During the qualification learners will cover the following:
- Further knowledge of anatomy and physiology applicable to personal training.
- Nutrition for exercise, health and fitness.
- Lifestyle and medical factors that affect wellbeing.
- Effective communication skills for client consultations to encourage healthy lifestyle behaviours and strategies for change.
- Skills to plan and conduct physical activity sessions with different types of clients in a variety of environments with a range of resources.
- Legal and professional requirements for personal training.
- How to set up and manage a personal training business on a self-employed basis.
- How to manage, evaluate and improve own performance.
- A suitable Level 2 qualification in Gym Instructing.
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential, therefore a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
- There is an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) and maths involved, so learners should have basic skills in communication and maths pitched at level 2 (as a minimum).
- Gym instructors wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as personal trainers.
- Individuals, who already hold a gym instructor qualification, wishing to become self-employed running their own personal training business.
- Level 3 Diploma in Instructing Pilates Matwork.
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga.
- Level 4 special populations-related qualifications.
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Exercise and Fitness.
- Learners may also progress onto qualifications in related sectors, e.g. Sports Massage, where they will be provided with the knowledge and skills to practise sports massage alongside personal training in a health club environment or in their own business.
- Alternatively, learners may broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing onto qualifications mapping to additional branches of the Level 3 Standards, such as Exercise Referral and Leisure Management.
- The qualification will provide knowledge and practical skills to enhance provision alongside other academic courses such as: National Diploma in Sports Studies, A-level PE and HND in Sport and Leisure.